Sunday, June 30, 2013

Wagnernomics 101

I wanted to post this sooner but I had to attend the U.S. Conference of Mayors in Nevada to receive an outstanding achievement award for the City of Daytons "Welcome Dayton" initiative. One of the most recognized accomplishments of my term in office that started when I attended a Priority Board meeting in May 2010. The initiative has cost the City little money and has got the most widespread publicity. I make this comment because I understand that money does not equal desired results.
That being said, let us look at A.J. Wagner's financial reports and compare them to Nan Whaley's spending which was reported in the previous post.

A.J. Wagner raised $9,520 of his $78,442 from outside the region. That is 12% of his total. However, like the other Democratic party candidate, he spent most of his campaign funds OUTSIDE the region. Of the $96,678 spent on his campaign in cash spending, $63,194 was spent with businesses located outside of the Dayton area. I consider Yellow Springs and Xenia to be inside the area but not Columbus or Washington D.C. That is a total of 65%. His "in kind" donations totaled $5,100 and that was all derived from local contributors.

I would like to remind people that my $2,056 spent was all inside the city. It was all in kind donations from my own pocket.

I can not endorse ANY candidate that spends other peoples money with reckless regard to the outcome. For Nan to spend $264,000 of other people's money so that she can earn an extra $6,000 in salary is ludicrous. For A.J. to spend $102,000 for a part time job (that can consume as many as 60 hours or more per week if you let it) just does not make sense. One should NEVER have to spend more than one years salary to get elected. (In this case that is $45,000.) Like I stated in my last post, this proves that party affiliated candidates can not beat me, the independent statesman, on a level playing field. They knew it and were not willing to level it. Yet it is the Democratic party that cries out for campaign finance reform when Republicans run against them. Food for thought.

Look at the contributions to each candidate and pay close attention to the spending. In the November election  YOU have to pick the lessor of two puppets in this case. I say puppets and not liars or evils because I do not believe either candidate is truly evil and neither have directly lied to me. However both owe favors to contributors and one, way more than the other. You want a Mayor who represents YOU. You want commissioners who represent YOU. Seriously look at the independent candidates for commission because I can no longer be that representative and vote for the lessor puppet for mayor because I know that I will have an open door to City Hall in that case.


4 comments:

A.J. Wagner said...

Gary,

Of the $63,000 sent to Columbus, over $45,000 came back to Dayton for radio, tv and other iitems.

I wish I could limit my spending, but the other side . will not. My money comes from people who know me and my vision for the city. They agree with that vision and support it. My money does not come from the party.

Is my desire to work 60+ hours a week for my fellow citizens crazy? Perhaps. But if it is crazy, then the command to love your neighbor must also be gibberish. To become mayor is a mission that fulfills me like no other because it fulfills the command. At this moment of my life I can think of no better way to love and care for my neighbors than to become mayor.

I hope that by November I can earn your respect and your vote.

A.J.

Gary said...

A.J., I can't tolerate reckless spending but you already have my respect.

18b1432c-e1c9-11e2-92be-000bcdcb2996 said...

Here's a rather obvious observation. First, why would you send $63,000 to Columbus for a Mayor position in DAYTON? And the other $18,000? You WISH you could??? Sounds like it's all about the money to me and nothing else. Doesn't sound like good fiscal responsibility to me. I myself cannot, with a free thinking mind cannot approve of this kind of thinking.

18b1432c-e1c9-11e2-92be-000bcdcb2996 said...

Here's a rather obvious observation. First, why would you send $63,000 to Columbus for a Mayor position in DAYTON? And the other $18,000? You WISH you could??? Sounds like it's all about the money to me and nothing else. Doesn't sound like good fiscal responsibility to me. I myself cannot, with a free thinking mind cannot approve of this kind of thinking.